What's new

Being Conscious of the Present

marv226

Hi Everyone! I am a fan of Eckhart Tolle. I read The Power of Now a few years ago and I've watched a few videos on YouTube that dealt with his teachings. Obviously, his main message is to be present. Don't think about what is coming or what has happened. One of the things I do when I feel I need to be in the present, that Tolle suggests, is to pick up an object and feel it. I don't think about what the object is called or what it's used for, I simply hold it and pay attention to how it feels. I wonder what other methods people use to snap out of thinking and to be present. Anyone care to share?

ckang96

I have personally never read Eckhart Tolle, but I really like this message of focusing on the present moment. I use a similar method, except I also find it useful to take deep, calming breaths first. Afterwards, I try to describe what I'm feeling, hearing, and seeing right then. I imagine myself writing a story of the moment.

jamienoelle

While I have never read this book, I will definitely be adding it to my list. I am constantly challenging myself to be more present in the moment, especially when I should be enjoying time with friends or family. One of the things that I do is very similar to what you'll have mentioned. While it isn't holding an object, I typically spin my ring around my finger. I am not sure why that helps me really focus and recenter on what is happening in the moment. Another thing that I think is critically important to help embrace the moment, is to put away all the screens. I find that my thoughts have less laps to run when I take away the distractions, especially social media and the internet in general.

marv226

I have personally never read Eckhart Tolle, but I really like this message of focusing on the present moment. I use a similar method, except I also find it useful to take deep, calming breaths first. Afterwards, I try to describe what I'm feeling, hearing, and seeing right then. I imagine myself writing a story of the moment.
I really like that idea of telling a story in my head of what is going on at the moment. I am definitely going to try that. Thanks!

marv226

While I have never read this book, I will definitely be adding it to my list. I am constantly challenging myself to be more present in the moment, especially when I should be enjoying time with friends or family. One of the things that I do is very similar to what you'll have mentioned. While it isn't holding an object, I typically spin my ring around my finger. I am not sure why that helps me really focus and recenter on what is happening in the moment. Another thing that I think is critically important to help embrace the moment, is to put away all the screens. I find that my thoughts have less laps to run when I take away the distractions, especially social media and the internet in general.
I recommend reading The Power of Now. I'm glad you've added it to your list. I agree that taking time away from our phones and other devices is critical. My wife and I refer to it as "rectangle staring" and we call each other out when we are rectangle staring instead of enjoying the moment.

Rae1234

I've spent quite a bit of time with Eckhart's books and videos. He's in my top five of all time favorite teachers. Simply watching his videos brings you to the present moment. He is speaking from a place of deep peace and so when we are listening to him, we get drawn into that peace with him. When I've been in challenging moments in my life, I would go to sleep listening to Eckhart. I highly recommend it.

One of his tips that I've used is to simply look up and around. That simple act takes you out of the thinking mind and into the present moment.

Last edited:

tdp1205

Hi Everyone! I am a fan of Eckhart Tolle. I read The Power of Now a few years ago and I've watched a few videos on YouTube that dealt with his teachings. Obviously, his main message is to be present. Don't think about what is coming or what has happened. One of the things I do when I feel I need to be in the present, that Tolle suggests, is to pick up an object and feel it. I don't think about what the object is called or what it's used for, I simply hold it and pay attention to how it feels. I wonder what other methods people use to snap out of thinking and to be present. Anyone care to share?
Focusing on the present moment (which seems pretty much akin to mindfulness) has really helped me to deal with anxiety. The root cause of my anxiety seems to be vaguely worrying about the worst that can happen. Getting my mind to stay in the present really seems to help the anxiety abate.

tdp