What's new

Bedtime

Delia B

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, my son hates bedtime. I have tried everything to get him to go to sleep. From music to using tv to making up stories (he gets read bedtime stories), he's just not into it, and its starting to make me feel like I'm failing. My daughters have no problem going to bed, but my son, not so much. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Uncle Dil

Tell him he will get something good in the morning if he goes to bed on time? This seems to work with some children. It's almost a Pavlov type training where he will respond to the good act in the AM by going to bed at the appropriate time.

Do keep in mind that people have different circadian rhythms and his may simply not be that early.

Ssandra

it depends on how old he is. My daughter also hates bedtime, but I simply do not make it optional. There is still some drama some days but she realizes that it is useless to fight it, because I'm more stubborn than she is...

Polyacik

How old is he? Sleep issues are very dependent on a lot of factors. Is there anything new going on in his life? Is he at any major developmental stages? One thing I've found to be true for a lot of kids is that sleep begets sleep... It can be a vicious cycle of not getting enough sleep and then being overtired and not being able to settle down, which results in poor sleep again.

Daedalus

I have twin daughters, still infants, that resist sleep more and more as they get older.

I don't have any advise. I have no sodding idea how to help. I'm tagging along here to maybe get some advice for myself.

Polyacik

My all-time favorite book for infant through ~5yo sleep is The No Cry Sleep Solution. Even if you don't fully use the methods outlined in the book, it still is a wonderful resource for sleep "norms." For example, I know how long my kid should be sleeping at night and for naps at any given age, hoe long he should be up in the morning until first nap, how long between naps, etc. This all changes very rapidly as kids get older, especially in the infancy stage, so it's helpful to have the this info on hand from a reputable source. Also, it has loads of tips on specific sleep issues, grouped by age.

Edit: don't know why I had the name of the book wrong in my head... I just looked at it and it's called "The Sleep Easy Solution." =)

Last edited: