What's new

Atheism and Spirituality

SteedBonnet

Some say that it is possible to be atheist and still maintain some sense of spirituality. Some, like author Sam Harris, even argue that those within the "community of reason" would benefit from being more spiritual. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I suppose it could be possible to be agnostic yet maintain some semblance of spirituality; I just don't know if an atheist can believe in anything that reaches the threshold of being "spiritual."

MichelleSP

i think it's totally possible to be spiritual and still consider yourself an atheist. Atheism simply doesn't believe in God or gods. In my opinion, spirituality doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with god(s). Personally I believe in the spirit of the universe, but I don't believe a god of any sorts is behind any of it.

My logic may be flawed, but I do not believe in any god, but still consider myself spiritual.

SteedBonnet

That's interesting. I just find it difficult to seperate the two notions, because the idea of spirituality and the belief in "something higher than oneself" are inextricably linked in my mind. ("Something higher" being a god or at least god-like being.) Thanks for commenting!

mctking

I don't presume to be knowledgeable about these things, but here is my perspective: atheism has much to do with faith than religion does. Antithetically, it is belief in the non-existent.

Spirituality means different things to different people, no? It is more individualized than organized religion is. With that reasoning, I would say that it is less of a pronouncement that there is a god or there isn't, but rather an expressive perception of how the world and its many mysteries works.

MichelleSP

I don't presume to be knowledgeable about these things, but here is my perspective: atheism has much to do with faith than religion does. Antithetically, it is belief in the non-existent.

Spirituality means different things to different people, no? It is more individualized than organized religion is. With that reasoning, I would say that it is less of a pronouncement that there is a god or there isn't, but rather an expressive perception of how the world and its many mysteries works.
That is a very interesting observation, and I have to agree with you. Spirituality and religion are both very personal and individual matters, even though some self-proclaimed religious individuals take many liberties with religion's actual "rules."

Thank you for that very thought provoking post.

Oaky

My atheism is something that leads me to be more compassionate and empowers me to do better for myself and others... it, in itself, has opened me up in a more spiritual sense where I can learn to appreciate nature, it's forces, and the energy of the universe on a more personal and less theistic level. I agree that spirituality and theology/religion are certainly different. My spirituality is linked with my experience and interaction with this world - and how the world correlates and reflects back to me... at times directly contrasting the existence of a religious entity or god-figure, as far as my understanding and interpretation will allow.