What's new

Article about Buddhism, meditation

Cleverviolet

I found this article very interesting. (Though the title is kind of click bait.) One of the points is about how meditation is helpful in developing cognitive empathy (not just emotional empathy), which is the ability to see things from other people's perspective. I know I personally can get set in my ways, and can feel like my way of thinking is the only "right" way. This is an interesting idea for how to correct those patterns.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/23/16179044/buddhism-meditation-mindfulness-robert-wright-interview

ckang96

Wow, this is actually a point of view, or cognitive practice, I do for myself. After studying psychology for so long, I know I shouldn't label people in such a one dimensional way; for example, as that jerky cashier. I don't think it's wrong to feel that in the moment, since we are designed to do so. It's just more efficient for your brain to process a cardboard cut-out version of that cashier instead of taking the time and energy to consider his or her entire situation. It's not a conscious decision, in other words, but everything we do after is. I always try to keep in mind that everyone has a reason or a cluster of reasons for why they act a certain way, and instead of blaming them for it, you have to take it in, consider its implications, and then try to work something out. It will always seem harder than the first option, but it will probably save you and the other party a lot of heartache (and headache) in the long run.