What's new

Alternative forms of therapy

dansecaribe

Good day to you all,

Was curious about what methods of therapy you would recommend to someone who does not have access to a psychologist - whether financially or because of time. I know there are guided meditation apps and videos on YouTube, and there are now many apps that offer more affordable therapy. I am just unsure if those are legitimate enough. Journaling seems to work pretty well for me, for it allows me to make sense of my thoughts. Would love to hear your thoughts on all this.

JessicaW

I haven't tried any of them myself, but I have heard of video based medical services that have very low rates, as low as $10 USD. You "visit" them via video call from your home with a skype style service. Some of them provide physical and psychological health services. One example is Maven, they also have a forum. I haven't tried this type of service myself, because I cannot even afford their low rates at the moment. I am skeptical of type of health service (I'm a skeptic in general). I would need more information on them to even pursue it. I just thought I'd through this possibility out there. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this type of service could chime in.

BrigS

I had a disappointment yesterday with 7 Cups, they were all too happy to take my credit card information, but had no one for me to speak to. I wouldn't trust anything online anymore, I asked them to cancel my subscription and haven't heard a word.

JessicaW

I had a disappointment yesterday with 7 Cups, they were all too happy to take my credit card information, but had no one for me to speak to. I wouldn't trust anything online anymore, I asked them to cancel my subscription and haven't heard a word.
That is exactly what had me so skeptical of those services. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with that. I hope you get things straightened out.

BrigS

Oh me too! It was ridiculous. I was really in crisis last night, and after 12 calls around my area for help, all of them turning up nothing, I tried online only to get a form response, that the therapist would contact me back in a few days. A few days is a few too long when you're having an immediate problem. If they can't supply help right away, what good is the fact that it's online?

dansecaribe

What is 7 Cups? I have not heard about it. I looked into some online counseling services but they were far too expensive in my opinion. I'm sorry you had that experience, though.

rejuvenate

For me, when I was going through depression I tried BodyTalk. It's an energy alternative approach to healing. I shied away from seeing a psychiatrist at the time and this was what helped me find peace and shift my mindset. You can go to their website and check to see if there is a local practitioner near you. In addition, my friend is a psychotherapist on BetterHelp. It's an online platform that provides an affordable approach to counseling.