What's new

A Quote to Motivate

alex

With some hard work, I'll be graduating this December and moving to where I hope to start a career in January. First, of course, I have to graduate. A quote by Denise Brennan-Nelson has proven to be fairly motivational for me: "Someday is not a day of the week." Simple, but effective! It reminds me to accomplish what I can when I can, for both long and short-term goals. If I keep procrastinating and waiting for "someday," it's never going to come, so start the essay, figure out a career path, etc., and it will pay off on a future real day of the week instead of the fabled "someday"! :) What quotes/sources of inspiration motivate you guys to accomplish tasks that would be tempting to procrastinate?

Jerz0

"The best way to get something done is to begin".

Sometimes just starting is the hardest part. Once you begin, it gets a little easier from there.

epalmer

“Farmers who wait for perfect weather never plant. If they watch every cloud, they never harvest” Ecclesiastes 11:4

Reminds me just to go ahead and do it - if I don't start, nothing will happen!

Ecoleman24

Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears. — Les Brown

Truer words have not been spoken. Fear is the thing that holds most of us back from everything we wish to achieve in life. It keeps us in jobs we hate and away from people and things we love. In a sense living in fear equals living in misery.

EliGray

Hey everyone, a question that I hear a lot is: "how do I discipline myself? I have issues with distractions and staying motivated enough to achieve my goals. What should I do?" This is a common one, but it actually has a simple answer. Many people bear the mentality that someone will account for them, and that they don't need to try for their goals super hard, because it either is too difficult or too much work, or they believe that they can do it later. But the simple truth is that those things couldn't be less true. You can't expect to get a quality thing from something you only half tried on. There are many ways of phrasing this:
  • "The future belongs to those who prepare for it today" -Malcolm X
  • "You shall reap what you sow" -The Old Testament
  • "By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail" -Benjamin Franklin.
The moral of the story is tomorrow waits for no one, you have to be ready for it today. And that my friends, is how I keep myself motivated and on track. Do you have any tips for staying motivated and disciplined yourself? I'd love to hear them!

What holds many people back isn't fear as much as what my Alabama teacher Mr. Dobbs called ' piddlin and fritzin off'. Piddling is worrying the details and fritzin off - Fritz the Cat reference- is goofing off.
Piddling is the great time killer. Piddling can also be a form of procrastination. A long time ago I read a book by -blank- and had 3main takeways.
- if you don't have prioritized to-do list(s) for each day --- you don't have enough to do.
- take your daily to-do list and rip it in half, and toss the other half (the actual items are on the master to-do list). This is more realistic anyway and the extra fat in your day is valuable.
- when in doubt, even without a list, or when you're piddling or fritzin', ask yourself: is this the most valuable use of my time right now??

This assumes you already have a mission or goal. It doesn't mean you need to stay busy. You can be flat on your back reading manga and depending, that could be the best possible use of your time at that moment.
The idea is to have a consciousness of what you're doing. The cliche to go with this would be 'eyes on the prize'.
This helps to keep the fritzin' down, in my experience.